Hello, writerly friends~ ♥︎
You asked for a Writing Advice Masterpost, so here it is! Below you will find a collection of the best questions and answers from the last two years. Not only that, but they are also organized so you can find the answers to your questions quickly and get on with writing.
But wait, there is more!
This post is more than just a collection of advice, it’s a nexus for writing advice, resources, and information! That’s right, this post is going to grow over time. I will be updating this masterpost WEEKLY with new answers, writing advice videos, playlists, and more! So, make sure to bookmark this page and follow my blog (maxkirin.tumblr.com) so you don’t miss a thing~ ♥︎
Writing Advice Compilations
- WRITERS UNITE! A book of writing advice, inspiration, and tips! Written with the help of 248 Tumblr authors. FREE DOWNLOAD!
- Daily Story Seed
- Daily Weird Prompt
- Daily Character Question
- Your Writing Horoscope (Retired)
- "Can I publish a story based on one of your prompts?"
Virtual Writing Academy
- Episode #01: Writing An Intense Scene
- Episode #02: Fleshing Out Characters
- Episode #03: Writing An Engaging Story
- Episode #04: Writing Different POVs
- Episode #05: Writing A Compelling Antagonist
- Episode #06: Writing Things You Have Never Experienced
- Episode #07: Writing About Someone Who is Different Than You
- Episode #08: The Harsh Reality of Being a ‘Hero’
- Episode #09: Senses And Details
- Episode #10: Improving Dialogue (Without Writing Dialogue)
- Episode #11: A Fun (And Silly) Exercise
- Episode #12: The Secret Ingredient for Original Stories
Motivation & Inspiration
- Daily Writer Positivity
- How to Finish Your First Novel (M. Kirin’s Origin Story)
- What Confidence Is and Is NOT
- How to Regain the Motivation to Finish That Book
- "I’m afraid writing is a waste of time"
- "I’m half-way through this book and I’m stuck"
- Stop Trying to Impress People
- Stop Trying to Make Your Parents Proud of your Writing
- Your Parents Disapprove of Your Writing?
- You’re Not The Worst Writer In The World
- English Not Your First Language? Neither is Mine
- A Tip for All Young Writers Worrying That Nobody Will Take Them Seriously
- Dealing with Hate and Harsh Criticism
- You Need to Develop a Thick Skin
- Neil Gaiman’s “Make Good Art” Speech
- Feeling Down About Your Writing? :c
- Elizabeth Gilbert’s Inspirational Speech on the ‘Genius’
- Neil Gaiman’s 8 Rules of Writing
- "I am not as good as other writers" (and other lies)
- The 7 Cardinal Rules of Writing Life
- Be A Little Delusional
Planning, Outlining, and Getting Started
- M. Kirin’s (Strange) Guide to Planning Your Novel
- M. Kirin’s Click-n-Drag Story Generator
- Which outlining method is the best? (Video)
- "I want to write a book but I have no idea where to start"
- The Story-Idea Test
- M. Kirin’s Secret for Starting books, and Finishing Them
- M. Kirin’s Top 3 Tips to Start Writing and Never Stopping
- The 10-Minute Writing Trick
- Tips for writing Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Paranormal
- How Much Worldbuilding is Enough?
- M. Kirin’s #1 Tip For Improving Your Writing
- Let’s Talk About: Show VS Tell
- The Difference Between Character & Plot (The Marcy Rule)
- M. Kirin talks about authentic dialogue
- The grammatical side of dialogue
- How do I write numbers in dialogue?
Editing & Revision
- M. Kirin’s Top 5 Revision Tips
- How to Love and Care for Your Beta Readers
- M. Kirin’s (subjective) secret recipe for the second draft
- When is the best time to edit a story?
- M. Kirin Talks About Editing, and Speeding Up Your Story
- M. Kirin Uses Evernote to Revise Books
- "Kill Your Darlings" VS "Cut What You Love"
- Writing Killer Plot-Twists and Mystery Novels
- "How long is a Rough Draft compared to the Finished Draft?"
Hot Button Issues
- Realism is a dirty word
- Racist & homophobic language in fiction
- Inaccuracy in Fiction (Video)
- M. Kirin drops a few bombs on ‘creative vocabulary’
- "I want to write but I don’t have the time"
- Is it bad to have too many LGBTQIA or POC characters?
- "My antagonist is POC/LGBTQIA, is this bad?"
- "All my characters are LGBTQIA, is this bad?"
- When to let go of a story
- Is it rational to be afraid of what people will think of you?
- Let’s Talk About: Deus Ex Machina
- Let’s Talk About: Coincidence in Writing
- Let’s Lightly Talk About: Plagiarism & Copyright
- Writing About Things You Have Never Experienced
- "Do you need to go to college/university to be a good writer?"
- My book is similar to something already out, what do I do?
- M. Kirin’s Cure For Writer’s Block (and Life Block)
- Overcoming the First Sentence
- Overcoming the First Sentence, Again
- Overcoming the First Sentence, Redux
- The 10-Minute Rule
- Making Boring Scenes FUN to Write!
- Stories are like children
- Let’s Talk About Titles (And Then Talk Some More)
- M. Kirin Reveals the ‘Secret’ Behind Style
- How much description/scenery is too much?
- How can I write faster?
- I want my readers to love my characters
- I think my book may be too short for my genre
- My story doesn’t have an Antagonists, should I add one?
- I killed one of my main characters by mistake, what do I do?
- M. Kirin’s Writing Advice for Fleshing out Romantic Relationships
- A warning about character names and meanings
- Help! My characters are not doing what I expected them to!
- Help! My characters are misbehaving! D:
- A warning about character sheets
- A talk about the beauty of first drafts, and pacing
- Is getting attached to your characters… bad?
- A note on Antagonism, and whether you need a villain or not
- Past or present tense?
- Is swearing okay? And other muthafuckin’ truths
- "What emotion do you find hardest to write?"
- "What writing software do you use?"
- Communication, a must for collaborative works
- Researching illegal things, cousin? I got just the thing for you!
- Joss Whedon’s Top 10 Writing Tips
- M. Kirin’s Tarot Cheat-Sheet
- Writing Tips for Storytelling in Video-Games
- Fair Use In Novels (by thedancingwriter)
- Let’s Talk About: Pen Names!
- Let’s Talk About: Reactive VS Proactive Characters
- Let’s Talk About: Transitioning Smoothly From Scene to Scene
- Let’s Talk About: Writing The Climax (& Resolution)
- Let’s Talk About: Writing The End
- Let’s Talk About: Spies
- Let’s Make a Title (To A Story You Haven’t Finished)
Writing Music & Playlists
- Writing In The Dark (Relaxing, Unobtrusive)
- Writing About Love (All the Feels)
- Writing & Fighting! (Super Intense!)
- Writing About Horror (Welcome to Lavender Town)
- Royalty And Noble Blood (Medieval Writing Playlist)
- Digital Reality (Cyberpunk/Futuristic Playlist)
- Lost In The Wild (Survival/Nature Playlist)
- No Hero (Danger, Action, and Anti-Heroes!)
- Mermaid Magic (Sunken Cities, Sea Monsters, and Magic!)
- Music For Writers: Portal 2 Soundtrack (FREE)
- M. Kirin’s Writing Playlists: Ravensgem
- M. Kirin’s Writing Playlists: Justine’s Blood
- M. Kirin’s Favorite Music to Listen to While Writing
- M. Kirin’s Secret For Making Playlists
Last Updated: 09-20-14. Click HERE to see the latest update. Latest posts are in Italics.
"your full name without an E,F,R,S,K,I,M,L,C,A,Y,N"
Well… I am literally an abbreviation
weave silk is my favorite and seed plant breeder is super fun.
I created another edit, because procrastination causes me to do so.
James Potter: Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Sirius Black: Ben Barnes
Remus Lupin: Andrew Garfield
Peter Pettigrew: Doug Brochu
Vintage Homes: Rainbow Rooms from the 1970’s
also i saw this on the unicef twitter page and thought id share
this video is all over facebook but honestly you must watch it it’s the best thing i’ve seen all week i can’t believe teenage boys
is this how nat spends his free time
No like I seriously couldn’t get through the whole thing
This is so unbelievably British, I actually cannot believe this seems 100% normal to me. Like honestly, I knew people like this.
To all those people (particularly Americans) who say British boys are amazing (in comparison to One Direction or The Vamps), this is a prime example of what real British boys are like. Honest to God, it’s cringey, but oh so hilarious too.